Frequently Asked Questions About the Program

1. What is Reflections-CAP?
Reflections-CAP is a substance abuse treatment program offered to clients involved in the Massachusetts court system as a last alternative to incarceration for criminal offenses. The expected length of involvement is one year.  Priority intake consideration is given to those who are facing imminent incarceration and are on probation during the course of the full program. The year is organized into approximately a 3-month residential stabilization treatment program followed by 9 months of continued case management in community-based settings.  There are separate men’s and women’s residences with some coed groups and other gender specific groups. Reflections-CAP is a program of High Point Treatment Center and receives funding from the Department of Public Health’s Bureau of Substance Abuse Services.

2. How do I get into CAP?
Referrals are made by probation officers or  District Attorneys, for males or females age 18 and up who meets the criteria of having a substance abuse disorder that was a contributing factor to the client’s facing incarceration.  Reflections expects that all admitted clients will be able to participate for a full year in the program.

3. Are there program fees for CAP?
There are no fees.  The program is supported by DPH-BSAS funding.

4. What will I do in the residential component of CAP?
Clients are involved in psychoeducational and stabilization groups for approximately 6-8 hours a day. Groups are recovery-based, interactive, and encourage open discussion. Some groups are co-ed, while others are gender-specific. Individual counseling and community care planning sessions are an integral part of the work.  In addition, there are scheduled times for meals, chores, and wellness activities. We will transport clients to medical and limited court appointments. The program is highly structured, time-consuming, and intensive; as a result, it does not allow for outside employment during this period.

5. Can I get visits during the residential stabilization program?
On Sundays, CAP allows for an every other week on-site visit from approved relatives/friends. These visits will start after the client has been in the program approximately one month, and certain criterion has been met. Separate times will be arranged for visits with children under the age of 18.

6. Will I need money at the residential stabilization program?
Clients are allowed to have up to $20.00 to use the laundry facilities and pay phone. Amounts over $20.00 will be held by the program.

7. What about medication at the residential stabilization program?
Please make sure we have the correct medication list to review upon referral as we will look at this as part of the admission review. Since it often takes 2-3 weeks to help clients obtain insurance and make appointments with a primary care physician and/or psychiatrist, clients must arrive with a 30-day supply of medication or prescriptions and payment option to obtain medication for the first 30 days. The program will secure all medications and monitor the client’s self-dosing at designated times. Clients on Methadone and Suboxone are accepted to CAP.

8. What can I expect during my community care programming following residential?
Much of this depends upon what you need to maintain your recovery. During your stay within the stabilization component, your counselor will work with you, any significant others that you designate, your lawyer, and probation officer to determine an appropriate community care plan. We will consider what you have already tried and what has worked/not worked to help keep you substance-free and in recovery. Regardless of your next steps, you will have the support of a CAP case manager, who is available during your first 9 months of community programming to help with appointments, getting to meetings, and facilitating communication with the court. Community care plans have included continued treatment at Recovery Homes (also known as Halfway Houses), Sober Homes, Intensive and Traditional Outpatient treatment, and programming available through the Office of Community Correction. 

If you have other questions, please contact us at 508-994-3678.